Wednesday, September 18, 2013

How I found my way

From my early inquiries into a more in-depth understand of life, suffering and happiness I looked for knowledge from the outside. I did what any child was told to do, "go look it up in a book". This is a rather ridiculous idea in hindsight. Theses concepts are so subjective, expansive and just so hard to convey in any other way other than actual experience that all books can ever hope to do is act as sign post towards a practice or possibly hope to give you the who, what, when, and why but never the how. It is my belief actually that each one of us has a path that can lead us away from suffering, for each person it is different to fit their temperament, intelligence, and level of preparedness. We are given the choice to follow this path, though it might be hard to find, buried behind bushes so to speak it is there for us all. It might not happen in this life but it can happen. I have read books from most "major" religions in the world I am an expert on none of them, I will however keep my list of books to the ones that have had a definite impact. I had a point in my life where I thought I could become an expert on meditation by reading enough about it. I was reading a book when struck by a line that stated; you will never find enlightenment in a book only on a cushion. Meaning the only way to get at any of what I had been reading about was to practice in this case sit down on a cushion and meditate. Books are no substitute for the actual practice but they can be great introductions to aspects of or sign posts for your journey. Here is a list of books that have changed my way of looking at my spirituality mostly in order that I have read them.




The four agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
by Don Miquel Ruiz. This book is definitely under the New Age genre however it helped me through years of depression. In a straight forward  four step way this book allowed me to take a more objective view of the world, abandon my role of the victim, and give myself enough empowerment to move forward.




The Art of Happiness, How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life By His Holiness the Dalai Lama. Though I don't completely prescribe to Buddhist beliefs and find myself being an amalgamation of Hinduism and Buddhism The Dalai Lama can always bring topics into a clear and easy to understand way. He can sometimes explain something to death for some people, but he really just wants to makes sure you understand the concepts.

Meditations from the Mat: Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga 
By Rolf Gates and Katrina Kenison. This book is set up in a daily inspirations sort of way. The whole book broken down into the eight aspects of yoga: Yama, Niyama, Asana, Pranayama, Pratyahara, Dharana, Dhyana, Samadhi. The Yamas and Niyamas get the most attention each one of the ten being touched on for a few days each. The authors trade of giving their experiences in daily life and the understandings of each aspect that they have gained over time. This book was a great way to learn more in depth about about the eight aspects of yoga without being buried in Sanskrit yogic terminology.

Wheels of Life: A User's Guide to the Chakra System 
By Anodea Judith. This book was recommended to me by a yoga teacher, when I was looking to deepen my understanding of the chakra or energy system of the body. Anodea in her book portrays each chakra as being a node of specific energies emotions and psychological aspects. As we develop from infancy to adulthood we work our way up the chakras, each being affected by the psychological health of each developmental stage. If a trauma or unhealthy development should happen it causes a blockage or dysfunction in the chakra affecting our emotional and possibly physical health. It is then possible to work through psychological issues, energetically or on the chakra of its relation through psychological work. This gave me a new way to view myself, my emotional and energetic health, and see how physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual are all linked.






The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali By Swami Satchidananda
This is one of those books you have to read, reread, reread, and then maybe you understand a third of what you can glean from this book. Swami Satchidananda was one of the greats of the yoga world being one of the first to bring yoga to the U.S., as well as led a movement for interfaith dialogue. Eventually opening Yogaville close to Charlottesville Virginia, his center for all faiths to gather in peace.(1) This is his translations of the sutras each line translated, the translation is given followed by a few lines or in some cases whole pages of explanation, examples and interpretations of each sutra.




Though These books helped guide me, and I still pick up new books to read today not all people will find these books accessible, interesting, or fitting into their beliefs. I know their is a way to lasting peace out there for everyone, only if they look.

Work Cited
1.Satchidananda Ashram--Yogaville. Sri Swami Satchidananda. 2013. Web. 17, Sept. 2013

2 comments:

  1. I like this post simply because it is a good "primer" for reading materials for those who haven't yet gotten as far on the path toward spiritual enlightenment as you have. You are really thinking of your audience here.

    One note on the formatting: You don't need to use a numbering system for works cited. Just name the author by last name in the parentheses and then no numbers are needed in the works cited, which will be organized alphabetically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I don't consider myself to be too far along the path. I feel it has taken most of my adult life to find where I would like to go with my spirituality and what works for me. I left off well over 30 books that I have read of varying spiritualities. I think this long journey is true for anyone trying to find their own way, without any guidance from peers or a community. In the end I had to find a path that fit me and what spoke to me. It's like the Buddha said “Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”

    ReplyDelete