Wednesday, October 2, 2013

From the heart

Before I first started yoga I had done some meditation and heard of some mantras, but when I went to those first few yoga classes I heard in the music a voice. This voice was deep and wide, and had so much heart to it. I did some searching and found the CD; it was Krisha Das "Breath of the Heart". I started listening more and more. I thought it was great, my girlfriend not so much. She hadn't really gotten into yoga yet. She was still trying to figure out if I was just in it for the girls in tights, her words not mine. It was from that CD that my whole experience of yoga changed and it helped move me towards a more spiritual view of it.

If you saw the 2013 grammys you might have seen a performance by Krishna Das. After hearing about his performance I looked it up on youtube. The fact that he is given only about four minutes to preform while his average song length is around ten minutes cause the music to loose impact. A bit of that energy is lost as well by only having two people to respond back in the chant, with microphones seemed to be off.



In interviews he describes himself as doing a practice selflessly it is ironic that as he continues this act of selflessness his prowess only grows. I think it is people searching for a deeper feeling in music. People are looking for something that speaks of more than just superficial love, sex, or drugs. When I got that first CD didn't know what the words meant, but I just know it led me into a happier place.

In his biographical movie "One Track Heart" he talks about his lifetime struggle with depression, drug abuse, and trying to find his path through life. After the death of his guru he fell back into depression and addiction.  It was only through chanting that he could find the love and peace he had experience in the presence of his guru. He uses his chants as a way to lead people and himself into a more loving state of mind. It is through his music that many have found solace, joy, and peace.

Work Cited
One Track Heart. Dir. Jeremy Frindel. Narr. Krishna Das. Zeitgeist Films. 24 Sept, 2013. Film. 30 Sept, 2013

1 comment:

  1. This is a really interesting post. What is the historical significance of Das's type of chanting here? I'd really love to know more!

    ReplyDelete